Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Texas Sheet Cake, Mrs. V. Moore and Mrs. H. Voge. Salem's Favorite Recipes.

Attempt # 1
Pretty good... I had enough faith in it to take it to a party :)

Recipe:
Boil together:
-2 sticks of Oleo (margarine)
-4 tbs cocoa powder
-1 cup water

Add:
-2 cups flour
-2 cups sugar
-1/2 tsp salt

Mix, then add:
-2 eggs
-1/2 cup buttermilk
-1tsp soda

Bake on a 10X15 cookies sheet (small jelly roll pan) at 350 for 35 - 45 minutes.

Frosting:
-1 stick oleo
-4 tbs cocoa powder
-6 tbs milk
Boil just a little Add 1 box of powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla. Sprinkle with chopped nuts (optional) and spread over warm cake.

First off, let me apologize for my long absence. A 6 month old baby who is continuously having his nap time interrupted by some very loud neighbors makes for one VERY clingy and restless baby. But enough about the elephant herders upstairs...

This was a recipe that took me back to my younger days of working at Kings Island. My friend Shannon would often bring Texas Sheet Cake whenever we had something to celebrate and this recipe came very close to the recipe she used to make.

It was pretty straightforward... although I was not a fan of the "hidden ingredients" I.E. the ones that aren't mentioned until they pop up in the directions. But that just goes to show you, you should always carefully read the instructions.

I didn't have and buttermilk so I just added a splash of cider vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for a few minutes until it had slightly curdled. I pulled my cake out after only 28 minutes the corners were started to get the slightest bit charred... so keep an eye on this cake once it's in the oven. It also baked up much more than I expected which made pouring the frosting over the top a bit messy and I wound up frosting (glazing really) in steps. Just a thin layer at first, then pour the rest on after the first layer had time to set up.

The cake was very moist and very chocolaty, though it did get a little "streaky", which a lot of baking-types consider a "no-no". But after tasting it my husband and I decided it was good enough to take to the Super Bowl party we were attending the next day. It seemed to go over pretty well with that crowd too.

S.F.R. contains 3 recipes for Texas Sheet Cake and they all seem very similar. I may try a different version of this somewhere down the road, but I really don't see that much differentiation to try several versions all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment