Tuesday, February 9, 2010

TASTING PARTY Molasses Cookies, Mrs. C. Rehmert. Salem's Favorite Recipes

Attempt #1
Good, simple. Would be good to add to a tray of mixed Christmas Cookies.

Recipe:
2/3 cup margarine
1 cup sugar
1/4 dark karo syrup
1 egg
2 tsps baking soda
1 cups flour
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Melt margarine and cool. Add sugar karo and egg; beat. Combine with rest of ingredients and chill. roll in powdered sugar. Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes.

Now, if you're anything like me the first thing you said was "There isn't any molasses in these Molasses Cookies..." That's because there ISN'T! I know! But, since I was throwing together a tasting party, and I happened to have all the ingredients for this recipe, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I mixed up the recipe with all my standard substitutions (seriously, whats up with all the margarine?) and for the spices I just used the teaspoon equivalent of all the spices called for with Pumpkin Pie Spice... In this case 1 full teaspoons of P.P.S.

The dough did not take very long to chill, maybe a half hour or so. Then I just scooped out the balls of cookie dough right into another bowl with some powdered sugar (Hidden Ingredient!)
The recipe made 30 cookies which was nice to only have to bake a couple of batches (as opposed to 5 or 6 like some other recipes make).









The cookies do go from "perfect" to "rock-hard" in a matter of seconds, so as soon as they look set-up I'd pull them out of the oven. But as you can see, they make very pretty, crackly-looking cookies. Chewy and spicy and honestly the Karo does a pretty good job of mimicking the molasses in this case. Though I am curious to try the recipe with real molasses and see what kind of results I'd get.

As I mentioned before, this was part of my "Tasting Party" which was really just my awesome friend Megan coming over and eating a bunch of food with me and my husband... either way the cookies got the "Thumbs up" from Megan, my husband and me. So I would recommend giving this recipe a shot if you're looking for something easy and a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment