Tuesday, February 9, 2010

TASTING PARTY Onion Pie, Mrs. D. Early. (My Aunt Dorothy!)Salem's Favorite Recipes

Attempt #1
Very good. Even a non-onion-lover said she enjoyed it :)

Recipe
2cups Ritz Crackers crushed
1/2 stick melted butter (finally! someone uses butter!)
2 cups of onions thinly sliced
1 Tbs butter
2 eggs
3/4 cups milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix crackers and butter together to make a crust. Saute onions in butter until clear but not brown. Place in crust. Pour milk over the mixture and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Anyone else notice a few steps missing from the recipe? I took it upon myself to mix the milk, eggs and cheese together before pouring it over the onions and it turned out just fine. Very simple, very tasty. This would be an excellent side dish for a pork roast if you're looking for something a little out of the ordinary.
So, here was my Tasting Part Spread. The Molasses Cookies, then clockwise the Cabbage Casserole, Lazy Daisy Meatballs ( I made them again for the party, but with ground pork instead of beef... they were just as yummy as the first time!) and the Onion Pie.

Needless to say... we were pretty full by the end of the evening, and I had gobs of leftovers to munch on over the next few days for lunches.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I'll admit I was wary of the onion pie, but it was excellent! So was everything else, those meat balls are amazing!

    ReplyDelete