Tuesday, February 9, 2010

TASTING PARTY Cabbage Casserole, Mrs. E Kost. Salem's Favorite Recipes

Attempt # 1
Yummy! But with a little adjustment...

Recipe:
1 lbs ground beef
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 small head of cabbage cut up coarsely
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large can of condensed tomato soup.
Cook beef in skillet until lightly browned; season with salt and pepper, drain fat. In 3 quart casserole layer 1/3 of cabbage, 1/2 the beef and 1/2 the onion. Repeat and top with the final 1/3 of cabbage. Pour soup on top of all. Do not mix or stir. Cover, bake at 350 for 40 to 60 minutes.

I picked this particular recipe because it reminded me very much of "stuffed cabbage rolls", with all the beef and cabbage in a tomatoey sauce. Also, it was the first of many Cabbage Casserole recipes that S.F.R. had to offer, and I thought that would be a good way to keep track of them. It was super simple to assemble, though I choose to slice my cabbage into long, thin strips (moo shoo style) as opposed to the coarse chop the recipe called for.







After about 30 minutes in the oven though, I was really starting to doubt if this recipe would be any good. It was looking very dry and some of the cabbage was getting a tiny bit burned... So I did a quick re-read of the recipe and realized I hadn't covered the dish! And to make matters worse, I had run out of aluminum foil the day before. So I grabbed my broiler pan and turned it upside-down over the casserole. It wound up cooking for another 45 minutes after that... but when it was done it was good! And I mean GOOD! Even my husband, Mr. "I Don't Like Cabbage" tried some and liked it. Also, I think if you eliminated the ground beef altogether it would be a really yummy vegetarian dish too (Lent is approaching, and I'm always looking for vegetarian recipes during Lent).

Another plus of this recipe is that with all the acid, it keeps really well in the fridge. It's actually better after a few days and reheated.

So... If you like cabbage, I say give this recipe a try. It makes a TON of food, but it can very easily be cut in half.

No comments:

Post a Comment