Friday, January 29, 2010

Old Fashioned Cream Pie. Mrs. S. Habekost, Heirlooms from our Salem Family

Attempt #2 (same basic pie... different recipe, different method)

Recipe:
1 pint half and half
4 Tbs butter
2 Tbs cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Heat half and half and butter. Pour some of this mixture into sugar and cornstarch. Then return all into milk pan. Continue to cook until thick. Add vanilla. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake 30 minutes at 350.

This recipe is very special to me for a few reasons. First of all, this is the pie that got me started on this project. And secondly, this recipe was submitted by my Godmother.
This is me, about 3 months old, with my Godparents Ralph and Shirley Habekost just after my baptism.

I made a few minor substitutions... I used (according to my handy substitutions chart located in Salem's Favorite Recipes) 4 tbs of flour instead of 2 tbs of cornstarch. I just don't typically buy cornstarch. I also added nutmeg, because... well, I like nutmeg. And when my Aunt Nancy made this pie, it had nutmeg in it.

This method worked MUCH better than the last recipe's did. I did everything just as the recipe said... Mixed it and then cooked it until it was thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Then poured it into the pie shell, let it bake for 30 minutes and "Presto!" Finally something that resembled the pie I remembered from my childhood. My husband didn't really care for the pie. He thought it was too sweet... and it *is* a very sweet pie. But, operating on the "more for me" theory, I wasn't too upset that he didn't care for it.

If I was to make this pie again, I think I would double the filling. This recipe make a very shallow pie, and since the filling is cooked first and then baked, I don't think doubling the filling would cause problems with the pie setting properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment