Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole. Mrs. A. Burkart, 1st Lord of Life Cookbook

Attempt #1
Very good.

Recipe.
1 box converted long grain and wild rice
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 10 oz can cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup diced celery
1 small can water chestnuts
1 tsp lemon juice
3 tsp onion minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick of margarine (melted)
1 cup corn flakes (crushed)

Cook rice as directed by box. Combine all ingredients except margarine and corn flakes. Put in a 3 quart casserole . melt margarine, add crushed corn flakes, sprinkle over top. Bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour.

OK, right off the bat, I subbed a pre-boxed wild rice mix for a wild rice mix that my local grocery store sells in bulk. I made 3 cups of cooked wild rice. Also, I don't particularity care for water chestnuts, so I left them out all together. I didn't have lemon juice, so I used malt vinegar. Special K in place of corn flakes again and as always butter instead of margarine.

Finally, I found the measurement of "3 teaspoons of onion" a bit suspect. First because that's not very much for such a big casserole and secondly because 3 teaspoons is 1 tablespoon... so I treated that as a typo and used 3 tablespoons of minced onion.

I started by cooking my rice and poaching my chicken. I cooked both of them with chicken stock.


This step took about 30 minutes all together.

In the meantime, I diced up the celery and the onion, simple simple.









From there on out, the recipe was really easy to assemble.











It was very extremely good! I highly recommend giving this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment