Saturday, January 23, 2010

Lazy Daisy Meatballs. Mrs D. Cress, Salem's Favorite Recipes

Attempt #1
Fabulous and yummy!

Recipe
1 lbs ground beef
1/2 cup crushed corn flakes
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 tbs flour
1 tbs chopped onion
1 tbs mango (more on that later)
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Combine first 8 ingredients. Shape into balls and brown in butter. Dip off excess fat. Add mushroom soup to the meatballs and simmer in a covered skillet.

Well, all I can say is "hats off to you Mrs. Cress!" Super-duper easy, and yummy! She has restored my faith in this cookbook, and my own cooking skills!

I started off a little shaky... upon rereading the recipe I was annoyed to find that it called for corn flakes. I was sure it called for Ritz Crackers, and therefore bought Ritz Crackers at the store last night. Sigh... first substitution of the recipe... I used Special K instead of corn flakes.

Then a few seconds later I had to send an emergency text to my mother... See, somehow or another people in southern Ohio got it in their heads that a "mango" is not actually a mango, but a green bell pepper. In fact, in many grocery stores you'll still see them listed in the produce section as "mangoes". So when I saw that the meatballs called for "mango", but only a tablespoon's worth I panicked thinking "maybe 'mango' means a third thing!!!" She assured me she didn't think there was anything else known as a mango... and I figured "what the heck" and boldly trudged on gathering my ingredients.

I decided to put the onion and "mango" through the food processor because, personally, I can't stand biting into a big chunk of undercooked vegetables hiding in something else. When you puree the veggies ahead of time the flavors get more evenly distributed and you're avoiding the risk of some of the veggies not getting softened in the cooking process.
After mixing everything all together and got all the meatballs formed, I popped them all in the skillet, turned them a couple of times (no easy task... they're very delicate until they're completely cooked through... be careful).
So far so good. Since this was basically a Swedish meatball recipe, I decided I'd serve it with orzo pasta, so I started cooking the orzo in a separate pan, and then sauteed a bit of spinach to go with the meal.

After the meatballs were almost completely cooked through, I dumped in my can of mushroom soup and tried to stir it to coat the meatballs. It wasn't cooperating and I didn't want to risk the meatballs falling apart from me mixing too much. I gave the soup a minute or 2 so that the heat could thin it down a bit... but it wasn't budging from it's "fresh from the can" look. And then I remembered that I had bought the low-fat soups, and they can have a very different consistency from the regular kinds. So I deviated from the recipe once again and added a 1/2 cup of milk. Within 10 seconds the soup was the proper consistency (or at least what I imagined the consistency was supposed to be). So I put the lid on and let it simmer until the orzo and spinach were both done.


The end result, yummy! Yummy, yummy, yummy, yummy! It was so good I went back for seconds even though I was totally full. It was yummy!

Next time... and there will be a next time... I'm going to try using either ground turkey or chicken and see what (if any) kind of a difference that makes. I highly recommend this recipe! Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment